Kauffman Foundation Scholarship Program for Mid-Continent Investors
The Kauffman Foundation has made a grant for 12 scholarships to experienced fund managers to attend the Kauffman Fellows Program. The scholarships will total $960,000 over a 3-year period, beginning in 2017. The Program expects to award four scholarships each year, with two recipients selected from the Kansas City metro area, one from the heartland states (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska), and one from the mid-continent region that stretches from the Rocky Mountains to the Appalachians.
Purpose of the Scholarships
The scholarship program is designed to connect experienced Kansas City and mid-continent investors with venture capitalists in over 40 countries on 6 continents where Kauffman Fellows are located, including established innovation hubs such as Silicon Valley, New York City, London, Berlin, Tel Aviv, and Shanghai, as well as emerging hubs in Lagos, Mexico City, Talinn, Istanbul, and Mumbai.
A hallmark of Kauffman Fellows is increasing the individual and collective power of the 474 Fellows to solve worldwide challenges by leveraging each other’s strengths. Ultimately, heartland investors’ participation in Kauffman Fellows will expand their learning, knowledge, and experience, which will spur capital investment opportunities and fuel the growth of mid-continent entrepreneurs.
Eligibility Requirements and Application Process
- Candidates must be from one of the designated geographies:
- 2 scholarships – Kansas City metro
- 1 scholarship – Heartland (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska)
- 1 scholarship – Mid-continent (Rocky Mountains to Appalachians)
- Candidates must be US citizens or permanent residents. Scholarship recipients must be able to legally stay in the United States beyond the program’s completion to continue their work.
- Candidates must meet all Kauffman Fellows Program eligibility requirements and complete the application process.
How to Apply
- There are no additional forms to fill out. Scholarship applicants check a box on the application form if they are eligible and wish to be considered for a Kauffman Foundation Scholarship.
- Scholarships, which cover tuition for the 2-year Kauffman Fellows Program, are awarded following acceptance into the program.
- All other expenses, including travel, meals, and lodging, are the responsibility of the Fellow, which are estimated to be $10,000-$15,000 over the 2-year period.
- Deadline to submit completed application for Fellows Class 22: March 1, 2017.
- Award Notification: April 1, 2017.
Responsibilities of Scholarship Recipients
- Attendance at all 7 modules and 2 international summits is mandatory for all Fellows.
- Scholarship recipients will meet at least once annually in the heartland to develop the regional cohort.
- Scholarship recipients will volunteer at least 40 hours in mentoring and educating entrepreneurs in each of the two years of the program.
- Scholarship recipients will preferably serve at least one heartland company on the board of directors or as an advisor, and will use best efforts to review and invest in the heartland when circumstances are appropriate.
For More Information
Contact Katlyn Mease at firstname.lastname@example.org.